Monday, September 15, 2008

Islands in the Oslo Fjord, plus other pics

The first 10 photos here are from a little journey to the islands in the Oslo Fjord on 13 September.  I went with a German friend, Christoph, who lives in my student village, Sogn Studentby.  We stopped at two islands, Hovedøya (~120 acres) and Nakkholmen (~50 acres), and just hiked around.  The ferry we took is part of the public transportation system in Oslo.




The boat, Oslo XII








The island of Hovedøya is a more popular tourist destination; here are some ruins of a Cistercian monastery called Hovedøya Abbey.




On the island of Hovedøya








Shroom on Hovedøya.  This one is known as the fly agaric and has hallucinogenic properties.








Hovedøya sheep








This shot was taken on Nakkholmen, the smaller of the two islands we visited.  Nakkholmen is sprinkled with little cottages all over the island like the ones seen in this photo.







Shot from the boat










City of Oslo in the background










Panoramic shot from the boat










City of Oslo, the prominent brick building with the two towers is the city hall








Fresh seafood for sale at the port








Frederik Holsts Hus, this is where I have all my International Community Health classes







Our master's program group








1 comment:

Tyler said...

Dan! Hvordan gar det? I am so glad I found your blog! These pictures are great. I spent a month in Norway this summer with my girlfriend's family (they live in Gjovik - 2 hours north of Oslo on Lake Mjosa). Bestamora hennes bor i Oslo, so we spent a lot of time there. I am looking at the the University of Oslo for the their Peace and Conflict Studies program for next year- so kansje vi skall studere alle sammen! I'll look forward to reading about your adventures!

Ha det bra!
Tyler