Saturday, March 28, 2009

Update 28 March 2009

Dear friends,

The month of March is coming to a close and Easter is just around the corner. I'll be enjoying Easter in a popular Norwegian fashion with a ski trip to the mountains. The snow is melting quickly now in Oslo, but the ski conditions high in the mountains should be great. The trip will be for a few days, going from cabin to cabin on cross country skis.

I have been especially busy with academics in the past couple weeks. I've been preparing for a Literature Review presentation which I will be giving tomorrow to my supervisor and an external examiner. My eyeballs are strained from the long hours of scanning through the many research articles and other literature available related to my topic, but I'm thrilled with the amount of information I've encountered in the hunt.

Below you'll find a collection of photos from my experiences in the past few weeks here. I think you'll notice a trend with what I do in my free time...



-------------------------------------------------------------------

On Saturday, 21 March, I participated in the Birkebeinerrennet, a 54 km cross country ski race from Rena to Lillehammer, just a few hours north of Oslo. The race is a popular one in Norway, with around 14,500 participants this year. I enjoyed being immersed in the energy and excitement of all the people present, and felt the event was a truly Norwegian experience, doing what many Norwegians love to do: ski. I finished the 54 km in 6 hours 45 mins. The best time was 2 hours 37 mins. Let's just say I wasn't in a rush.




No need to worry about what wax to use on your skis, they had complimentary stations for everyone to get their skis prepared before the race.



14,500 participants, with groups of skiers released every 5 minutes over the course of 2 hours. I was impressed with how efficiently the race was organized and executed given the number of people.


Coming from Rena


Going to Lillehammer


--------------------------------------------------------------------

An assortment of other ski pictures:

On the journey home from a cabin west of Kongsberg along the Knuteløpet. This trip was mentioned in my last blog post.


This is the cabin we stayed at on our trip near Kongsberg. The cabin is one of 450 sprinkled across the country under the administration of the Norwegian Trekking Association (DNT)


Beautiful snowy day



With my friend, Janne, on a day trip near Oslo. Janne is a Norwegian classmate in my masters program. We were just clarifying our coordinates here.



Blue skies and great conditions up in the mountains.



A very different experience skiing in the mountains as compared to the forests around Oslo.



No comments: