Friday, May 29, 2009

30 May 2009 Update

Hello friends,

The end of the semester has come.  I'm completing a final essay for my ethics course now and embarking on my journey to the north of Norway tomorrow morning with my friend and fellow Rotary Ambassadorial scholar, Lucas.  We look forward to visiting a few Rotary Clubs along our trek, as well as participating in the District 2270 Conference held in Sortland next weekend.  I look forward to sharing our experiences with you when I return.

The past few weeks have been busy and filled with various assignments and deadlines.  I've also had some time to enjoy fishing in the Oslo Fjord and engage in a variety of other activities around the city.  Below is a collection of photos that show some of the action from around Oslo the past weeks.  

-------------------------------------------------------------
The 17th of May is Norwegian Constitution Day and the National Day of Norway.  The date marks the signing of the Norwegian Constitution in 1814 that declared Norway an independent nation.  The Oslo city center was packed with people flowing all around and particularly congested along the main street, Karl Johans Gate, leading up to the Royal Palace, where the king and his family waived to passersby.



The Norwegian Parliament, Stortinget






Looking down Karl Johans Gate, with the Royal Palace in the distance





Lucas looking dapper and sporting the Norwegian flag






In front of the Oslo City Hall







-------------------------------------------------------------

On 11 May I joined a group organized by the University of Oslo for a hiking and rappelling trip to a rocky top west of Oslo, called Kolsåstoppen.  I joined the same excursion last fall and enjoyed it so much I couldn't resist coming back for Round 2.


Rappelling down









-------------------------------------------------------------

Fishing has been the new hobby for my friends and I around Oslo.  We enjoy taking the public ferry out to an island in the Oslo Fjord named Nakholmen, where we join the eclectic group of local fisherpeople at what has been identified as the hotspot for fishing in the area.  I've lost 5 hooks and 12 lures to the angry sea in the 7 or 8 times I've gone, but all has been vindicated with the two cod caught.




The hotspot.  The right edge of the land in this picture is a small cliff that drops a few meters down to the sea.  The fjord is especially deep in this area and good for fishing.





With my friend Christoph on our way home from fishing






Here is a curious Norwegian idiosyncrasy to mention: the engangsgrill.  The small, disposable grill is filled with charcoal and ready for use in any situation.  Here its warming up our delicious hot dogs for lunch.








This was on the day I caught my first fish






And there it is friends, my first Norwegian fish.  Its a cod, or 'torsk' på norsk.






It was just a camera trick, I promise







-------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few random photos.




With my friends Christoph and Zoe at a going away party for Christoph






In front of a sod-roofed building.  The sod roof is another unique feature seen around Norway.





With a floormate, Matthias (left), and friend Max on our way to a 'loppemarked' (garage sale) one fine Saturday morning


No comments: